Friday 13 November 2015

People abroad think that Bollywood is an Indian dance - Hema Malini

People abroad think that Bollywood is an Indian dance - Hema Malini

By Harshada Vedpathak




Dream girl and MP Hema Malini is reviving Jaya Smriti, it is a dance tribute to her Mother. Here she is talking about her passion, politics, films, serials and writing her biography. Excerpt….


First you are looking ravishing. What’s the secret of it?

-I don’t know what the secret is. I am on my journey and takes what comes to my way and I am happy doing it. At the same time I follow my duty as mother, daughter, sister, and wife. I have never sat at home. I have always been busy and dance has been a great support to me.

There is new addition to your family. How about the new role of grand mom?

-This is the new relation and I didn’t know it can give you so much of joy. His name is Dharyan and he comes to my room every day. I play with him. All memories of my little girls came back to me. I was a working mother and how they would come and huge me. I was lucky that during my pregnancy nothing changed in me so I could continue acting. My children were small by birth.  During Ahana’s time doctor use to say that the baby’s weight is not much. We had a nurse to take care of Ahana. And I use to feel that the nurse is not allowing me to take care of my baby. Now same with Ahana but I told her don’t worry the baby is always with the mother.  I would feel the same and my mother would tell me that the baby is always knows the mother. It will come to her.

Tell us something about Jaya Smriti?

-Jaya Smriti been revived after two years. We have been doing is for many years now. My mother was a great art lover and she made me what I am today.  Without dance I would have never been Hema Malini. Because of dance only I got films. People used to watch me performing and offered me roles.  Lot of youngsters would come to my mother and tell her to introduce them to dance. She wanted me to be a dancer.  I decided to dedicate this programme in her name. People have watched me and my daughters danced so I am promoting new people. We are felicitating artistes every year.  Very few people are taking interest in this and we are trying to promote. Even in films there are no classical dances. People abroad think that Bollywood is Indian dance, I hope this doesn’t end. 



Why that is your daughters won’t be performing?

-I have taught my daughters all about the dance. They are dedicated but they have to take over. I have done so many beautiful roles as Radha and Meera. If they feel like they will do it. I am trying to preserve the culture and I want them to take over and run the institute.  I hope they do it. It has to be a natural process.

You and produce and directed many serials, how about any plan in near future?

-Financially it is expensive to make a serial. There are so many people sitting in the channels offices and they make you do so many changes, at the end you get fed up only. I tried my best in one of the TV channals office  but I think normal serials they don’t want.  Only certain people get to make serial.  I had done a serial Mati Ke Banno as they wanted but the problem is that there are young girls who adopt each serial. They have their own twists and turns and ask us to make changes. I made the changes and then they complain that the serial is not doing well. 

How about film production and directing it?

-You can’t make films now. I did try with my last film Tell me Oh Khuda but the director was not good. Now corporate have taken over and we have to depend on them. Earlier people did films like Sholay when there were no corporate.  Dev Saab, Guru Dutt, Ramesh Sippy made very good films.  Some people sit and think there are story board heads but they have their own ideas.  What will work then? I don’t know how people are making films. If they don’t back you, you have had it. We can’t afford to lose money. It has become dicey to make a film.  Earlier there is one producer, one director. Now we have five producers. I am a very dedicated and competent person but you have to have somebody to back you. How can I direct it? 




How do you look back at your glorious carrier?

-My first ten years of life was in Delhi. Because I wanted to become a film star and dancer I shifted to Chennai.  It was written by the lord. I became a dancer and star and shifted to Mumbai. From 15 years to 25 years of my life was different and then came the Romance. I continued to work and with work romance. Romance is beautiful and work is better. Then we decided to marry and then, I had children and everything was beautifully weaved.  My mom used to bring Kanjivaram saris and they were so heavy. Still I would listen to my mother.  Many North Indian women would make fun of me especially producers wife.  We all were dedicated. Rekha is also among them. We are always in touch with each others.  She likes me and respects me. 

When you are low in life, how do you deal with that kind of situation?

-I am firm believer of God, and my brothers are there as God’s assistant. And when I get low, I talk to them as they are very close to me. I love them and discuss and they advise me. My mother was strict and my brothers were very supportive. They use to tell me God will give you everything and will fall in the right place. But I have never been a strict mother. I sometimes go above myself and see what this woman is doing. When recently that accident took place I analyzed everything from above and saw the reason but nothing has happened. It’s just a reminder and you have to go on with life. You become philosophical but you have to go on.




How your political responsibility is is going on?

-I am putting all my work in Mathura and it’s in U.P., that land has many farmers, its reminds me of Sholay. The characters are like that.  They are so innocent. Like one character says suicide kya hota hai”, in today’s era they are so innocent and people fool them and there is no development. I am trying to help them. People have looted them, and no one has done any development there. Here I am talking above party level, if required I talk to CM Akhilesh Yadav and try to get thing moving. There is so much of unemployment and illiteracy.

Actor, producer, director, politician and family person Hema Malini as we all know you. But where do you get satisfaction?

-To be happy I meet people and get happy. As an actor we did not get so many opportunites now you see around everybody is a hero and heroine. I didn’t have to struggle. I was blessed by Lord Krishna.  Got married to one of the nicest man on earth. It’s beautiful and I am going to pray and my life has been satisfying. And hope it stays that way till I am alive.  Life has been nice. I sit back and ask Dharamji also who writes sheroshairi….. I enjoy it. If God asks me which role, I want to live again. It’s tough as every phase is nice. Everything has been nice….. 

Will you be writing an official biography?

- May be in coming years

No comments:

Post a Comment